Diacetyl is a common ingredient in popcorn. It is also used in confectionery, baked goods, pet food, margarine, snacks and snacks to give these foods a distinct buttery taste.
In the past, diacetyl was considered a safe food additive, but a toxicology report released in March this year showed that workers who produce popcorn often increase their exposure to lung disease if they are exposed to margarine flavors containing diacetyl. Risk, though rare, is fatal. At the same time, researchers at the American Chemical Society press conference declared that food processing workers who are exposed to this chemical every day are also more likely to suffer from Alzheimer’s disease.